2021 OPEN CALL WINNERS
The Kranj Foto Fest has received 142 applications from 41 countries for the open call on the theme ISOLATION | FREEDOM. We would like to thank everyone who has submitted their photographs.
Our jury had a hard time selecting the shortlisted projects that showed a deeper and broader concept of ISOLATION | FREEDOM. So, scroll down and get to know the photographers who will exhibit in Kranj this August!
Series Ode to my Family (2019-2021)
Series Ode to my Family (2019-2021)
Erjola Zhuka will have a SOLO EXHIBITION in the Kranj Foto Fest 2021
Erjola Zhuka (b. Albania, 1986) studied Multimedia Arts and Painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Carrara, Italy, and received a Master in Photography from the University IUAV of Venice. In July 2020 she published her first book ODE TO MY FAMILY.
Erjola writes: “Ode to my Family is a visual diary that finds in the individual dimension a universal reflection that intends to capture the signs and symbols of individual identity, caught in the moments in which the defenses and social masks are lowered between private and public environments. The geo-cultural dimension, captured between Italy and Albania, represents my past and my present, which coexist and feed each other in a perverse game of symbolic and cultural references”.
Meet the photographers who will be part of GROUP EXHIBITIONS in the old town of Kranj.
(b. Ukraine, 1987)
(b. Japan, 1975)
The day you were born, I wasn’t born yet
(b. Italy, 1996)
(b. Slovenia, 1984)
(b. Spain, 1979)
(b. Italy, 1994)
I Made Them Run Away
(b. Slovenia, 1997)
Seeking For Sparkles of Life
(b. Germany, 1989)
(b. Serbia, 1986)
(b. Slovenia, 1983)
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
(b. Italy, 1988)
The Humming of Swan Wings
(b. Brazil, 1977)
(b. The Netherlands, 1982)
Aki & Astrid Sinikoski
(b. Finland, 1978)
(b. Poland, 1983)
(b. Taiwan, 1978)
Hawler Psychiatric Hospital
(b. Slovenia, 1993)
(b. Ukraine, 1992)
(b. Slovenia, 1980)
What is living a “normal” life?
ISOLATION / FREEDOM
Do you want to exhibit your photos in the picturesque city of Kranj, Slovenia, in the heart of Europe, during the summer 2021?
The Kranj Foto Fest invites photographers from all over the world to submit their original and impactful series and photo stories on the theme of ISOLATION | FREEDOM to be presented in Kranj from August 25th to September 30th 2021, in solo and group exhibitions.
Submit your work and get the chance to exhibit it at the new international festival Kranj Foto Fest. What is more, this will also enable you to connect with photographers, curators and gallery owners.
ABOUT THE THEME
Throughout the past year, isolation has become an all too familiar word for most of us. A new virus has emerged and the governments had to impose lockdowns to contain its spread. But isolation is not a new thing. It has existed (literally or metaphorically) since the very beginning of our species.
Isolation. Separation. Loneliness. Remoteness. Segregation. Quarantine. Confinement. The list is endless.
Isolation can be voluntary or imposed. If it is imposed, it affects our freedom.
How have political decisions impacted our rights of liberty? How has the virus and this pandemic transformed our way of seeing the world? Has photography shifted from public to private as never before? How have photographers captured the consequences of lockdowns and how have these influenced our lives?
The Kranj Foto Fest aims to show the range of manifestations of isolation and freedom. We welcome photo series that are directly related to this pandemic but, more than that, we are eager to see stories that show a deeper and broader concept of ISOLATION | FREEDOM.
What will the festival offer?
- The curators will choose ONE WINNER to have a SOLO EXHIBITION at the Kranj Foto Fest 2021 and will shortlist a number of photographers for group exhibitions taking place in public areas, at historic landmarks, as well as in art centers, galleries, forests and waterfront areas of Kranj, Slovenia, from August 25th to September 30th 2021;
- All the production expenses will be covered by the organizers;
- Your application will be handled and judged by a team of experts on photography;
- All selected photographers will get an amazing opportunity to show their work to a qualified audience consisting of art critics, curators, photo editors, gallery owners and publishers.
What and how can I apply?
- A series (not isolated images without any connection) from 6 to 20 photos in jpg format with 1200 pixels on the longest side;
- A short description (max 800 characters) in English or Slovene about your project, including information about its title and year that your series or photo story was developed;
- Your bio with up to 1500 characters in English or Slovene, including your personal info (email, phone number, country of residency and date of birth).
- Send your material until May 20th 2021 using the form below or use the email email@example.com. Single files should not exceed 500 kB.
What do I get?
- Exposure at the Kranj Foto Fest’s main exhibitions and at locations all around the old historical center of Kranj as well as in green areas with all the production expenses covered by the organizer;
- Network of curators and publishers and the possibility of your works getting exhibited and published on the festival partners’ platforms/at their venues as well;
- Inclusion in the Kranj Foto Fest’s marketing & PR campaign + printed and digital publications.
By when can I apply?
The deadline to send your photos is May 20th 2021.
How much does it cost?
The participation is free of charge.
Who can apply?
Photographers and collectives of photographers of any age from all over the world.
What are the requirements?
- The photo story should follow the theme of ISOLATION | FREEDOM;
- Photographers should guarantee that they have the same photos in high-resolution that is ideal for exhibition printing. These hi-res files will be required if your work is selected;
- By being selected to participate at the Kranj Foto Fest, the photographers understand that their images can be used to promote the festival in digital and printed materials, press and on social media.
When will I know if my work was selected?
The results of the open call will be published on this page on May 28th 2021.
Commitments of the organizer
- The Kranj Foto Fest undertakes the responsibility of curating, printing the photos, producing the exhibition on the locations chosen by the organizer in the city of Kranj, Slovenia;
- The organizer reserves the right to cancel the festival (or some of its activities) anytime due to COVID 19 pandemic;
- The organizer will be responsible for disposing of the received materials (online and printed) after the end of the festival.
WHO IS THE JURY?
Owner of Galerija Fotografija gallery in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Slovenian freelance documentary photographer.
Curator, educator and writer on Photography and New Media.
French photographer of Slovenian origin.
Fernanda Prado Verčič
Co-Founder and Artistic Director of the Kranj Foto Fest.